Saturday, May 01, 2004

True Freedom

I'm preaching on Galatians tmw and have once again just been blown away by the message of it. How often do we do things to try and buy our way to God?! How often do we think that even though we have come into relationship with God through faith in Jesus - we can keep ourselves there?! How often do we try and produce fruit in our own lives rather than letting God grow it in us?!

But especialy I've been thinking about who is at the centre of our lives. Paul talks about him no longer being central in his life - that he has been crucified with Christ and that now Jesus is the central thing in his life - his life is no longer his own, it is Christ's. This has been a very real challenge for me recently - I'm not the centre of my life, Jesus is.

It's also had the 70's chorus "It's no longer I that liveth, but Christ that liveth in me" going through my head. Those of you who are as indoctrinated in Christian culture as I (see last post) might know it and shiver with me - although the words are actually quite good! (so much of my knowledge of the Bible does come from good old Scripture in song - but even though I'm appreciative of that doesn't mean I don't cringe!)

No comments: