Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Just an update

Yes it's been a while! It's essay time of semester - so have had my head in books. I have been teased much recently about my love of writing essays. I do enjoy the study process even though I rarely give it the space in my life that it deserves. I'm doing ethics this semester and been loving it - although I'm struggling at the moment coming up with a philosophical ethical framework to then talk about poverty in the light of.
In doing my last essay (a Biblical Ethical Framework with homosexuality as a case example), I have been thinking alot about what it means to live in the space in history known as the "now but not yet". For those not familiar with that phrase, that's since Jesus came and the kingdom of God came into the world in a new way - but before the kingdom comes in a more complete way. So I've been thinking about all the tensions in that - and thinking about many ways in which that outworks itself and what it means to be people living as followers of Jesus in that time.
Kind of connected to that I've been thinking about Jesus' response to the Woman Caught in Adultery (John 8) and his response to the Pharisees who brought her before him - but I'll write more about that soon. But if you want to wet your appetite, you might want to have a read of it and think about how Jesus responds in this story.
One of the many other things that's been happening is that I finished my job (at an Anglican Church in Moonee Ponds) on Sunday. I've worked there for over 2 years and it's with mixed feelings that I am leaving. A nice farewell and some things over the last few days that really affirmed that I was God's person in that place for the time I was there and that what I felt I should do in that community I had done (although with lots of learning and things you'd do differently etc etc.) What more could you want!
And then went out with a couple of friends from there to celebrate - alovely afternoon drinking a couple of bottles of wine, eating good food and sitting in some good funky places in Melbourne city.

Well there's a bit of an update on my life. Will write more soon.

No comments: