Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Losing your faith?

Here is a quote from Maggi Dawn's blog ... that sums up a truth that I know so deeply ... and one that I reckon we don't allow space for often enough:

"The experience of losing your faith, or of having lost it, is an experience that in the long run belongs to faith; or at least it can belong to faith if faith is still valuable to you, and it must be or you would not have written me about this. I don't know how the kind of faith required of a Christian living in the 20th century can be at all if it is not grounded on this experience that you are having right now of unbelief. "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief" is the most natural and most human and most agonizing prayer in the gospels, and I think it is the foundation prayer of faith."
Flannery O'Connor

No comments: