Saturday, September 11, 2004

Another quote

Reading another brilliant book: Resilience by Anne Deveson.

A quote that resonates with alot of what I've been thinking about over the last 6 months or so (it's conversation between two people):

"It's only when people change their thinking that action follows."
"Sometimes you need to act before you change the way you think."
"You need both approaches," he said calmly, "As I've grown older, I've recognised that the way I live is far more critical than the actions I take. Fundamental change in thinking isn't triggered intellectually. It's far more emotional than that." (p71)

I guess this resonates becauses I'm becoming more and more convinced that neither actions nor thinking, as important as they both are, really cut it for deep change - that it really is about much more core issues of who we are and how we live. Actions and thinking are part of that, but no where near the whole story - I agree with "it's far more emotional than that". Although I'm not sure if "emotional" is the word quite, although definately part of it, maybe what I would say at the moment is "it's far less tangible than that".

No comments: