Friday, January 30, 2004

Christology - Missiology - Ecclesiology

A statement that I have heard quite a bit is:
"Christology should inform our missiology which should inform our ecclesiology".
(it's probably someone in particular's quote but I have no idea of the originator of it - if anyone knows do let me know so I can give credit where credit is due!)

What?, you say. That is, what we know of Jesus and who he is and what we believe/know about him should inform how we live that message out/share that with others which in turn should inform the way we be/do church, the people of God.
Think about it for a while and I suspect that it will transform how you think about these things, and even more how you live them, like it has, and is even more at the moment, transforming mine.

I think often as Christians we separate all of these things our view of Jesus in one corner, our mission in another and our view of how church should be in another, or we certainly do it in a different order to this. I think often the way we do church (ecclesiology) comes first or at least second and especially informs how we do mission rather than the other way around.

I've been asking myself how would my life change if I really lived with these things informing each other in this order? What would look different?

No comments: