Thursday, July 05, 2007

Create Your Own Prayer That Speaks Your Soul

On a semi-retreat this week and this is what I'm centring around:

It would be wonderful to create your own prayer
Give yourself time to make a prayer that will become the prayer of your soul.

Listen to the voices of longing in your soul.
Listen to your hungers.
Give attention to the unexpected that lives around the rim of your life.
Listen to your memory and the inrush of your future, to the voices of those near you and those you have lost.

Out of all that attention to your soul, make a prayer that is big enough for your wild soul;
tender enough for your shy and awkward vulnerability;
that has enough healing to gain the oinment of divine forgiveness for your wounds;
enough truth and vigour to challenge your blindness and complacency;
enough graciousness and vision to mirror your immortal beauty.

Write a prayer that is worthy of the destiny to which you have been called.

Eternal Echoes - Exploring our Hunger to Belong
John O'Donahue

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh lord I am lost. My spiritual life comes and goes as do my emotional needs. I pray when I panic and when content, I do not. I find churches to be havens for the moneychangers and scripture reminds us how you feel about them. I need your guidance every day. Please find a way to guide my hand and lead me to the calm we all seek as humans. Amen.

Anonymous said...

I wrote my own prayer and it changed the way I pray and the way I see my life here on earth.

Barb Totterdell said...

so pleased ...